The Scarborough Inn B&B started life as the Hotel Scarborough circa 1895. Travelers to Ocean City, New Jersey enjoyed the modest accommodations that purportedly included shared baths, oak dressers with bowl and pitcher, and iron bedsteads. Rumor has it that there was a full-service restaurant at one time and, as was often the case, meals may have been included in the tariff. Many families from the Philadelphia area would vacation at the shore for the entire season (Memorial Day to Labor Day) or for a half-season.
Much of the history of the Scarborough has been lost and most of the original furnishings were discarded during one “modernization” effort. Despite that, we know that she was owned by a succession of families over the years who lovingly nurtured the structure and who provided gracious hospitality to guests. We also know that there were over 60 guest rooms at one time and that private baths featuring metal showers were added during another modernization.
The Workmans are the first family of owners that we know about – although they are certainly not the original proprietors. They operated the Scarborough during the 1950’s and several members of the family attended the 100 Year Anniversary celebration in 1995. One daughter of the family, Dolores Prom, writes novels and often uses the shore as the setting for her stories.
Tom and Doris Perkins are the next owners of the Scarborough. Tom was a popular soloist with the Ocean City POPS and owned a store on the Boardwalk called The Old Salt. Doris taught art in the local school system and was an accomplished painter. During their tenure, pink was a very popular color for decorating. The old dressers were painted pink, pink vinyl headboards were installed throughout, and pink and white awnings accented the front porch.
The next owners – the Jernee family - included two brothers (Andy and Jack) and their respective families. This family has close ties to Ocean City history. The family patriarch, Jack Jernee, was instrumental in starting the Ocean City Life Guard Association. Andy and Nancy lived at the inn for many summers with their children: Gary, Mark, Lisa and Amy. They eventually bought out his brother. The entire building was painted white during this time; yet it retained much of the original architectural details like the fish scale shingles, dentil molding, and Colonial columns lining the wraparound front porch. There were 48 rooms, but the dining room had been removed at some time to make room for additional guest quarters and living space for the family.
Gus & Carol Bruno and their two sons, Peter and Jason, purchased the inn in 1988 and moved in just one week before the Memorial Day weekend opening, and ran the inn until April 1, 2014 when they passed the innkeeper keys to Brandie and Steve Cesari who will be welcoming guests to The Scarborough Inn during the 2014 season and beyond!